Consumers should be able to trust that products they buy are safe when used as designed. Unfortunately, defective products often cause debilitating injuries. Car accelerators and breaks malfunction. New tires have blowouts at normal speeds. Car roofs crash, and airbags don’t deploy. Medications have dangerous side-effects. Clothes or bedding catch on fire. Food can be unsafe. Many everyday household products and appliances can be manufactured or designed in a way that poses a danger. Tragically, dangerous products can cause injuries or even deaths.
What Is a Product Defect?
Many products can be defective, from medications, to food, to cars. A defective product is one that was designed defectively, packaged poorly, manufactured improperly, or otherwise sold and marketed in such a manner that made it unsafe. Flawed design or manufacturing can result in dangerous products that can injure consumers. In a product liability case, the law may find blame with some or all of the companies involved in manufacturing or distributing an unsafe product. These can include the product designer, manufacturer, supplier, and even retailer. These companies or individuals can be held liable for the harm a defective product causes. If you need a product liability attorney in San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, or Imperial Counties or elsewhere in Northern California or Southern California, we are here to help.
Product Liability Statistics
- Each year, approximately 34 million people are injured or killed as a result of product-related accidents.
- Last year, injuries and incidents related to product recalls increased by 7 percent.
- There were over 11.6 million of children’s product recalls in 2011.
- Research shows that the number of people injured by medications is also rapidly growing. Millions of people get sick each year because they are given wrong medications, incorrect doses, tainted medications, or medications that do not have proper warnings.
- Children and people over the age of 65 are most likely to be hospitalized for medication-related injuries.
- The annual costs of medical care and expenses related to these injuries in the United States is in the billions of dollars. For the victim’s family, the costs often become prohibitive, which is why it is even more critical to seek compensation through courts.
- Over 25 thousand people are reportedly diagnosed with E. coli each year.
- Salmonella and E. coli, found in unpasteurized, poorly stored and packaged foods claim the lives of many people each year, including children. Some of the most highly publicized lawsuits are cases involving young children who suffer severe injuries, hospitalization, or death from these illnesses.
- The most likely victims of product-related injuries are those between the ages of 1 and 36, far outnumbering deaths from cancer or heart disease.
Why File a Product Liability Suit?
Product liability litigation not only benefits clients and compensates those injured by dangerous and unsafe products, but it can also apply pressure on manufactures and other companies to produce safer automobiles, toys, furniture, and the like. Because statutes of limitations period limits when you can bring a lawsuit or otherwise assert your claims, if you believe that you have a claim, you should contact us as soon as possible. No amount of money can truly compensate a person for a debilitating injury or the loss of a loved one. But it is important to remember that bringing such cases to courts may benefit future consumers, ensuring that they are not at risk for the same defect. It can also help your family get closure and much-needed compensation.
What Kinds of Cases Do We Handle?
We handle all of different types of product liability cases. Some examples include:
- Dangerous drugs, vaccines, and medical devices
- Vehicle rollovers
- Airbag injuries
- Boating, bicycling, scooter, and motorcycle incidents
- Infant and child safety seats
- Electrical injuries
- Construction injuries
- Faulty foreign products
- Food recalls, salmonella and E. coli-tainted food and drinks
- Unsafe baby furniture, toys, and food
- Many other type of product liability cases
Why Hire Us?
Although many firms appear to specialize in product liability, very few actually have the training and experience required to handle such cases. Product liability litigation is costly, time-consuming, and complex. It requires thorough understanding of state and federal laws from lawyers who are trained in this area.
Before founding Cross Prescott APC, our shareholders have represented Fortune 500 companies in many high-stakes matters. Our experience includes working on the defense side of some of the largest manufacturers in the world, including matters with billions of dollars at stake. We know exactly how these companies think and operate. We have also litigated against such manufacturing giants as General Electric (“GE”), Bayer, Hoffman-La Roche, Roche Laboratories, and others. We are best-suited to handle any serious product liability case and to help you seek compensation you justly deserve.
© by Cross Prescott APC